Charlton Athletic manager Lee Bowyer has been offered a fresh five-year contract by new chairman Matt Southall.
The move comes after East Street Investments completed their takeover of the Championship club on 2 January.
Bowyer, 43, guided the south-east London side to promotion from League One last season.
“Lee was a fundamental part of us buying into this, and wanting to invest in the business,” Southall told BBC Radio London.
Bowyer signed a new one-year deal with the Addicks last summer – just one day after the club had said they were unable to agree terms.
He first took charge at The Valley in March 2018, initially as caretaker manager following the departure of Karl Robinson.
He was handed the job permanently in September that year, before guiding the Addicks to a third-placed finish last season and then winning promotion to the second tier via the play-offs.
Bowyer confirmed an offer had been received on Thursday, and the former Charlton, Leeds and Newcastle midfielder hopes the deal can be finalised early next week.
“Unfortunately my agent is in Los Angeles,” he said.
“I did hear it is five years, which is a positive thing. I am happy with that.”
Bowyer’s agent will attend Saturday’s league game at home against West Bromwich Albion, when further talks could be held.
“I would sign today if it is the right deal,” added Bowyer. “It is a positive thing that something has been sent across.
“We have a couple of days to digest that and speak again on Saturday if we need to. Saturday, who knows, it could all be agreed and then signed on Monday. That is what I would love to happen.
“The chairman is saying he wants it to happen, so the most important thing is we agree and can put it to bed.”
Meanwhile, Bowyer is positive about the club’s future under East Street Investments, which ended Roland Duchatelet’s turbulent five-year spell as owner.
Charlton are 19th in the Championship, having won just one of their past 14 league games amid an injury crisis at the club.
“We had a meeting on Wednesday afternoon and I was there for a few hours going through how we can move the club forward,” said Bowyer.
“Everything was positive. We seem to be on the same page, and for me it is exciting.”
League Two side Leyton Orient have signed former Swindon Town goalkeeper Lawrence Vigouroux on free transfer.
The 26-year-old was without a club after leaving Chilean top-flight side Everton de Vina del Mar, and he has signed an 18-month deal with the O’s.
The move comes after Dean Brill was ruled out for the rest of the season with a hamstring injury.
“I think he’s going to make a very big impact here,” interim head coach Ross Embleton told the club website.
“It was disappointing, not so long ago, to lose Dean to a severe injury.
“It was a position we certainly needed to strengthen, despite the good performances by Sam Sargeant since he came into the team.”
Vigouroux, who had spells at Tottenham and Liverpool as a youngster, featured a total of 130 times for Swindon during a four-year stay at the County Ground which ended last summer.
His move to the Breyer Group Stadium is subject to international clearance.
Find all the latest football transfers on our dedicated page.
A man shot dead on Christmas Eve was attacked in front of his family after a night out, police said.
Flamur Beqiri, a Swedish national, was killed in Battersea Church Road in south-west London at about 21:00 GMT.
Neighbours described hearing multiple gunshots followed by a woman screaming “desperately” for help.
A spokesperson for the Met Police said the killing which “saw a man losing his life in such a horrific way” had left his family “devastated”.
The 36-year-old, who had a wife and young child, was pronounced dead at the scene by the emergency services.
Lying in doorway
Neighbour Vittoria Amati, 60, said she heard between “eight to 10” gunshots fired.
“I then heard the screams of the wife. I came out and realised it was one of my neighbours.
“He was lying in front of his doorway in a pool of blood. He was still alive. We were really hoping he would make it.
“You have no idea how desperate she [his wife] sounded.”
A young woman, who identified herself as a nurse, tried to help Mr Beqiri by applying pressure to his wounds, Mrs Amati added.
Det Ch Insp Jamie Stevenson said: “Our investigation is in the very early stages and we are still working to establish what the motive could be that has led to a man losing his life in such a horrific way, on Christmas Eve, in front of his family.
“They have been devastated by this horrible event and are being supported by specialist officers.
“We know that the victim was returning home with his wife and young child following an evening out, when he was shot just yards from his home.”
The officer added the assailant fled on foot in the direction of Battersea Bridge Road.
Supt Richard Smith said: “There is no suggestion that there is any ongoing risk to members of the local community in Battersea.”
The death is the 135th homicide in London in 2019, the highest number in a calendar year since 2008.
England’s Eoin Morgan, Jason Roy, Chris Woakes and Sam Curran have all earned six-figure contracts in the Indian Premier League’s player auction.
Morgan, who led England to World Cup success in 2019, was auctioned for £563,000 to Kolkata Knight Riders, who are coached by Brendon McCullum.
Kolkata also made Australia’s Pat Cummins (£1.7m) the most expensive overseas player in IPL history.
Ben Stokes, Jos Buttler and Jofra Archer remain with Rajasthan Royals.
The England trio were not part of the auction after the franchise opted to retain them from last season’s squad. Jonny Bairstow and Moeen Ali were also retained by Sunrisers Hyderabad and Royal Challengers Bangalore respectively.
‘Banton reminds me of KP’
Roy and Woakes both went to Delhi Capitals for their base price of £161,000, while Curran was bought by Chennai Super Kings for £590,000.
Curran was released from his £800,000 contract by Kings XI Punjab after his debut season in 2019 despite taking a match-winning hat-trick in one game.
His older brother, Tom, was picked up by Rajasthan for £108,000, while Kings XI acquired T20 specialist Chris Jordan for £323,000 and Somerset batsman Tom Banton, who made his England debut in the T20s in New Zealand last month, was bought by Kolkata for £108,000.
Banton will link up there with Morgan and former New Zealand captain McCullum thinks he has got himself a bargain.
“Banton was the icing on the cake,” McCullum told India’s Star Sports. “He’s an excitement machine and reminiscent of Kevin Pietersen.
“He’s also a back-up wicketkeeper. We’re really excited to meet Banton. He will also enjoy playing alongside his England captain, which will be a motivating factor.”
But there were no takers for two members of England’s successful World Cup squad, pace bowlers Mark Wood and Liam Plunkett.
Knight Riders pin their hopes on pace of Cummins
Cummins, 26, is number one in the ICC Test bowling rankings and his pace and accuracy marked him out as a standout player in the auction.
Delhi and the Royal Challengers were both in for him, before the Knight Riders made their move.
At £1.7m, Cummins is the fourth costliest player in IPL auction history and the most expensive overseas signing, marginally surpassing the fee commanded by Stokes in 2017.
Only Yuvraj Singh in 2014 and 2015 and Gautam Gambhir (2011) have gone for more.
Other big money foreign purchases included Australia all-rounder Glenn Maxwell, who joined Kings XI Punjab for £1.15m.
Chris Morris, who was omitted from South Africa’s Test squad for the forthcoming series with England, was bought by Bangalore for £1.1m, along with Australia one-day captain Aaron Finch for £473,000 – his eighth different IPL franchise.
West Indies duo Sheldon Cottrell and Shimron Hetmyer were also popular. Left-arm bowler Cottrell was a £914,000 purchase for Kings XI in his IPL debut, and Hetmyer will play alongside Roy and Woakes for Delhi after they signed him for £833,000.
Among those who went unsold were New Zealand duo Tim Southee and Martin Guptill and West Indies captain Jason Holder.
The 2020 edition, which begins in April, will be the 13th season of the IPL, which was won in 2019 by Mumbai Indians.
|IPL auction 2020 top earner|
|Pat Cummins||Australia||£1.7m||Kolkata Knight Riders|
|Glenn Maxwell||Australia||£1.15m||Kings XI Punjab|
|Chris Morris||South Africa||£1.1m||Royal Challengers Bangalore|
|Sheldon Cottrell||West Indies||£914,000||Kings XI Punjab|
|Nathan Coulter-Nile||Australia||£863,000||Mumbai Indians|
The rumour parakeets arrived in the UK when rock star Jimi Hendrix released a pair in London’s Carnaby Street in the swinging 60s has finally been scotched.
They also didn’t escape across the country during the wrap party for the movie The African Queen, in 1951.
In fact, reported sightings from the 1860s have been uncovered, Goldsmiths and Queen Mary universities say.
Intentional releases may have also been encouraged in 1929-1931 and 1952 when fatal “parrot fever” hit the headlines.
The bright green non-native ring-necked parakeets now thrive across the UK.
Originally from Africa, it has become a successful invasive species in 34 countries on five continents, the study’s lead author, the late Steven Le Comber, says.
As well as the rumour from the Bogart and Hepburn classic, in 1951, another suggests that a flock kept at Syon Park escaped when a plane crashed through the aviary roof, in the 1970s.
However, the researchers found their spread across the UK is more mundanely down to repeated intentional releases and not to do with publicity stunts.
Numerous sensational accounts of human deaths due to psittacosis infections from birds were published in 1929.
And in 1932, the Middlesex County Times reported parakeets had been spotted in Epping Forest, with the paper blaming the “parrot disease scare” of 1931 for the observations in the wild.
“Scary” health stories often prompt a strong public reaction, said Sarah Elizabeth Cox, postgraduate history student at Goldsmiths.
“If you were told you were at risk being near one, it would be much easier to let it out the window than to destroy it,” she said.
This latest study used geographic profiling, a statistical technique originally developed in criminology to prioritise large lists of suspects in cases of serial crime, to analyse spatial patterns of parakeet sightings.
When applied to biological data, the model can identify the origin sites of diseases or introduction sites of invasive, non-native species.
None of the “suspect sites” connected to origin myths showed up prominently in the geoprofile of more than 5,000 unique records dating from 1968 – 2018.
By 1961, birds were a more popular pets than cats and dogs in the UK, with 11 million birds in captivity, of various species, and it seems obvious there would be an increase in escapes, researchers said.
Three men who were jailed nearly 50 years ago on the evidence of a corrupt police officer have had their convictions quashed.
Winston Trew, Sterling Christie, now both 69, and George Griffiths, 67, were accused of stealing handbags in 1972.
The group known as the Oval Four were jailed for eight months for assaulting a police officer and attempted theft.
The Court of Appeal overturned the convictions due to the unreliability of a detective’s evidence.
The judge described it as “a very unhappy story”.
The men, who belonged to a political organisation representing black people in London, were aged between 19 and 23 at the time.
They were arrested with another man, Constantine “Omar” Boucher, at Oval tube station in by officers who accused them of mugging women.
A plain clothes police operation was set up on the Northern Line led by Det Sgt Derek Ridgewell, who was later jailed for seven years for conspiracy to steal.
A 14-year-old boy was murdered by a “yellow-gloved attacker” who was part of a gang that set out to murder a rival, a court heard.
Jaden Moodie was repeatedly stabbed in a “violent and frenzied” attack carried out by three men on 8 January.
After Jaden’s death, yellow “washing up gloves” with traces of his DNA as well as that of the accused, Ayoub Majdouline, were found in a drain.
The 19-year-old denies murder and is on trial at the Old Bailey.
Jurors previously heard that Jaden was driving on a moped when he was “struck head on” by a Mercedes car which was later found abandoned and burnt out.
His crash helmet came off when he was hit and he was then stabbed by five men who had armed themselves with knives, prosecutor Oliver Glasgow QC said.
In addition to the yellow gloves, jurors heard a knife showing traces of Jaden’s blood on the blade and Mr Majdouline’s DNA on the handle was found in the drain.
Mr Glasgow said: “After Jaden Moodie’s killers left the car, they threw away a blood-stained knife and pair of gloves, both of which are linked to this defendant.
“The clothing and footwear that they had worn during the attack was also removed and burned in the churchyard and amongst that pile of debris was clothing and trainers that is linked to this defendant.
“Whether those connections are because this defendant was one of Jaden Moodie’s killers or whether there might be an innocent explanation will be for you to decide once you have heard all the evidence in the case.”
Mr Majdouline was arrested on 19 January and said no comment in his police interviews, Mr Glasgow said.
Defence barrister James Scobie QC said there was “no dispute that Jaden was a defenceless victim”.
He added: “However the defence case is that Ayoub Majdouline was not in the Mercedes that night.”
The trial continues.
Andrew Lloyd Webber has announced he is to join forces with ticket resellers Twickets in a bid to beat touts.
The theatrical grandee, whose LW playhouses include The London Palladium and the Theatre Royal Drury Lane, hopes the move will bring consumer-friendly ticket resale to the West End.
Fans have often been charged over the odds on secondary ticketing platforms.
The new system means unwanted tickets bought at the box office can be resold for no more than the original price.
Twickets will also add a fee of 10% to 13% of the face value.
Rebecca Kane Burton, CEO at LW Theatres said: “We continue to strive to not only offer our customers an incredible experience, but also help them when things don’t go to plan.
“Providing a safe, secure and easy way to resell tickets is best practice and yet another step LW Theatres is taking to innovate and improve theatre-going.”
Lord Lloyd-Webber has produced best-selling and long-running musicals including Cats and Jesus Christ Supsterstar.
Twickets launched in 2015 as a more ethical ticketing company, helping fans get into concerts by the likes of Adele and Arctic Monkeys, but this is their first official tie-in with a UK theatre group.
“The UK is in the midst of a market shift away from rip-off secondary ticketing platforms and towards capped consumer-friendly resale services,” said Twickets’ founder Richard Davies.
“I am proud Twickets is at the forefront of this change, and delighted we can extend our service to theatre lovers via this groundbreaking partnership with LW Theatres.”
The partnership will not stop touts from putting tickets on other ticket resale sites, but intends to give theatregoers a trusted option for trading unwanted tickets at a fair price.
The move comes after the West End production of Hamilton scrapped a paperless ticketing scheme intended to combat unauthorised resale.
Producers argued that increased customer awareness and action against sites like Viagogo meant they could reintroduce a “more open” system, including printed paper tickets.
Hamilton and Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, two of the biggest West End hits in recent years, say tickets that are re-sold will be cancelled.
Music stars including Adele, Little Mix and The Spice Girls also teamed up with Twickets as the official ticket reseller for their last tours.
Seventeen people have been arrested in early morning raids across east London in an international human trafficking investigation.
Officers went to 16 addresses after working with Romanian police, who simultaneously raided four addresses in Romania and arrested one man.
In London, police took 29 potential victims – women aged between 20 and 40 – to a “place of safety”.
The suspects – 14 men and three women – remain in custody in central London.
The 17 arrested people, who are aged between 17 and 50, are being held on suspicion of modern slavery, controlling prostitution, Class A drug offences and firearm offences.
‘One fell swoop’
Det Ch Insp Richard McDonagh, from the Metropolitan Police, said: “The Met recognises the seriousness of modern slavery and the devastation it brings to people’s lives.
“Today’s synchronised operational activity [had] the aim of, in one fell swoop, dismantling an organised crime network and providing support to the victims.”
The London raids were carried out in Redbridge, Havering, Barking and Dagenham, Newham, Brentwood and Tower Hamlets.
A spokesman for Romanian police in the UK said: “Romanian police officers working shoulder to shoulder with our British partners is a great achievement, a proof of our mutual permanent support and a great professional reward.
“The Romanian police is committed to continue its efforts in combating all forms of criminality together with the Metropolitan Police.”
Several people were injured when parts of a ceiling collapsed during a Piccadilly Theatre show in London’s West End.
The venue in Denman Street was packed on Wednesday for a performance of the Arthur Miller play Death of a Salesman, starring US actor Wendell Pierce.
Audience members “heard dripping sounds indicating water was coming through the ceiling,” according to the theatre production company.
More than 1,000 people were evacuated.
Four people were taken to hospital after three men and two women were treated at the scene by paramedics.
“We are ascertaining the extent of the situation, and will be providing an update on future performances as soon as possible,” the Ambassador Theatre Group said.
The group said Thursday’s showing would be cancelled.
Wendell Pierce, who plays Willy Loman in the show which opened on Monday, apologised for having to stop the performance and evacuate the theatre.
A video shared on social media shows the US actor outside the venue asking the crowd to come back and see the play another time.
“We’re so honoured that you came tonight. We are so sorry that this happened,” he said.
BBC journalist Iain Haddow, who was in the audience, said the collapse happened about 20 minutes into the show.
He said that before the ceiling caved in there had been a steady drop of water “which turned progressively into a stream” – although it was not raining at the time – and said there was some panic when the ceiling fell in.
He said that outside the theatre there was scaffolding and building work going on.
In December 2013, 76 people were injured, seven seriously, when part of a ceiling at London’s Apollo Theatre collapsed during a show, while 1,200 people had to leave the Queen’s Theatre in Shaftesbury Avenue, following a small fire during a matinee performance of Les Miserables.